To start improving yourself and your brain cells visit https://brilliant.org/zachhighley and sign up for free. The first 200 people will get 20% off the annual Premium subscription.
There are habits that have made my life happier, healthier, and more productive. Over the past couple of years, I have tried countless new habits. Some have stuck, some haven’t. Here are the habits that pack the biggest punch, that have made the biggest difference. I tried them out so you don’t have to. Here are seven habits that drastically improved my life.
📜 Write Up - https://www.zhighley.com/7-habits-that-revolutionized-my-life/
📸 Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/zachhighley/
🐧 Twitter - https://twitter.com/ZachHighley
1:02 Wake up Earlier
5:39 Read 30 Minutes Per Day
7:03 Sleep 7 Hours Per Night
11:16 3 Hours Outside
15:25 Cultivate a Beginner’s Mindset
17:40 Brilliant Sponsor
2. Jewett ME, Wyatt JK, Ritz-De Cecco A, Khalsa SB, Dijk DJ, Czeisler CA. Time course of sleep inertia dissipation in human performance and alertness. J Sleep Res. 1999 Mar;8(1):1-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2869.1999.00128.x. PMID: 10188130.
3. Randler, C. (2009). Proactive people are morning people1. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39(12), 2787–2797. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2009.00549.x
4. Differences between smokers and non-smokers in morningness–eveningness Social Behavior and Personality, 36 (2008), pp. 673-680
5. Morningness–eveningness preference and eating disorders, Personality and Individual Differences, 45 (2008), pp. 549-553
6. Is self-reported morbidity related to the circadian clock? Journal of Biological Rhythms, 16 (2001), pp. 183-190
7. Preckel, F., Lipnevich, A. A., Boehme, K., Brandner, L., Georgi, K., Könen, T., Mursin, K., & Roberts, R. D. (2012). Morningness-eveningness and educational outcomes: The Lark has an advantage over the owl at high school. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 83(1), 114–134. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8279.2011.02059.x
11. White MP, Alcock I, Grellier J, Wheeler BW, Hartig T, Warber SL, Bone A, Depledge MH, Fleming LE. Spending at least 120 minutes a week in nature is associated with good health and wellbeing. Sci Rep. 2019 Jun 13;9(1):7730. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-44097-3. PMID: 31197192; PMCID: PMC6565732.
12. Wilson RS, Boyle PA, Yu L, Barnes LL, Schneider JA, Bennett DA. Life-span cognitive activity, neuropathologic burden, and cognitive aging. Neurology. 2013 Jul 23;81(4):314-21. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0b013e31829c5e8a. Epub 2013 Jul 3. PMID: 23825173; PMCID: PMC3772831.
13. Faith S. Luyster, PhD, Patrick J. Strollo, Jr., MD, Phyllis C. Zee, MD, PhD, James K. Walsh, PhD, Sleep: A Health Imperative, Sleep, Volume 35, Issue 6, 1 June 2012, Pages 727–734, https://doi.org/10.5665/sleep.1846
14. Hölzel, Britta K., et al. “Stress reduction correlates with structural changes in the amygdala.” Social cognitive and affective neuroscience 5.1 (2010): 11-17
15. Pruessner, Jens C., et al. “Self-esteem, locus of control, hippocampal volume, and cortisol regulation in young and old adulthood.” Neuroimage 28.4 (2005): 815-826.
16. Peterson, Linda Gay, and Lori Pbert. “Effectiveness of a meditation-based stress reduction program in the treatment of anxiety disorders.” Am J Psychiatry 149.7 (1992): 936-943.
17. Miller, John J., Ken Fletcher, and Jon Kabat-Zinn. “Three-year follow-up and clinical implications of a mindfulness meditation-based stress reduction intervention in the treatment of anxiety disorders.” General hospital psychiatry 17.3 (1995): 192-200
Who am I:
My name is Zach. I’m a third-year medical student in Philadelphia. I make videos about medical school, entrepreneurship, and other cool things. I love trying new things and often mess up. However, every time I screw up I usually learn something. Whatever I learn I post either on YouTube or my website 🌐 (https://zhighley.com/).
I write a weekly newsletter 💌 (https://zhighley.com/newsletter/) linking the best things I read, watched, and listened to that week. Join the 2500+ that follow it every week!
The Gear I Use to film videos: https://zhighley.com/resources/#_YouT…
What I’m Reading: https://zhighley.com/resources/#_Books